Monday, March 19, 2012

Septic Permit

My mom is about to purchase a property and K and I will be in charge of getting water, septic, electric, and a house. Not to mention a tractor but that will have to wait since it's not a huge priority. I'm going to make a series of posts to document our journey, as well as everything involved in case there is anyone else out there who is crazy enough to buy land.

Please excuse the dullness of this post. I'm sure the first few posts will be very dull, but hopefully they will get more interesting as we get more involved with making this land our home. Trust me, all these things are dull for me too! I just want to start living there so we can have chickens and a garden!

The first thing we had to do was get a perk test. This was written in to our real estate contract. If the soil didn't perk, we would've walked away from the property. When we had the environmental consultant come out to do the test, we had absolutely no idea what to expect. He dug 2 great big holes and did a soil reading to determine if the soil would work for a septic system. He said our soil was perfect! Then he asked if we just wanted a perk test or if we wanted to get the permit. The permit was $500 as opposed to $200 for the perk test only. We decided to save the money up front and go for the permit (which I'm glad we did because I realized reading the contract later that we were supposed to get a permit anyway. Our realtor later told me that it is a risk to the buyer not to get a permit before closing on a property since Arkansas requires a septic permit in order to get a building permit. You certainly wouldn't want to find out after closing that you have bad soil and can't get a septic permit.). In a stressful last minute decision we decided to get a permit for a 5 bedroom septic that would serve a 4 bedroom house plus a 1 bedroom apartment. This took the pressure off of us in case we later found out that building a house is more expensive than we were thinking. This way we would have the flexibility to build a smaller house and live there until we saved for something bigger and not have to pay for 2 septic permits.

Well, here we are, 4 weeks later. We're STILL waiting for the government to approve the permit so we can close on the property. Anything the government does is SO slow and SO inefficient. But I am glad that we decided to leave our options open as far as putting two structures on the property. After doing more research, we have realized that it is unrealistic to build our main house right now. In fact, I personally think we'll be lucky to be able to afford a smaller house (since we're paying for everything with cash because the short sale pretty much ruined our credit). But more on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment